Usually, the processes of updating and restoring the firmware on Apple devices are rarely accompanied by problems. But in some cases, error 3194 may appear on iTunes when trying to update the firmware to a new version or restore it on your iPhone or iPad.
Full text of the error:
The iPhone “iPhone” could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3194).
Do not rush to carry your mobile device to a repair service. In most cases, the problem can be solved at home. In this article, we will look at how to fix error 3194 in iTunes.
Causes of iTunes Error 3194
What is the reason of error 3194 in iTunes?
The official Apple website informs that the cause of error 3194 in iTunes is the inability of mobile device to connect with Apple servers.
Among the main reasons why this happens:
- Problems with the device software;
- Mismatch iOS digital signature issued by Apple (for example, if the software has been modified with a jailbreak);
- Hardware errors of the mobile device.
How to fix Error 3194
To fix error 3194 that occurs when trying to update or restore the firmware through iTunes, you need to follow next steps.
Make sure you are using the latest version of the iTunes software:
- Open iTunes;
- Click “Help” in the navigation menu;
- Select “Check for Updates”;
- If fresh updates are available, a dialog window will appear asking to update. Do it.
If any errors occur during the update process, then you need to reinstall iTunes. You can download latest version by the link:
Use another backup
Try to use the oldest backup that iTunes offers and only after installing it, try to update the system.
Editing Hosts File
Error code 3194 often occurs among users who have used a jailbreak to hack the system and install unlicensed software. This may change the iTunes connection to Apple servers in Hosts file.
To fix the Hosts file in Windows, do the following:
- Open File Explorer;
- Follow the path:
- Open the Hosts file with any text editor, such as Notepad;
- Check the content of the file for the string “18.104.22.168 gs.apple.com“. If it exists, then it is necessary to delete it, or comment it out by putting the “#” symbol before the line;
- Save changes.
Now you can restart iTunes and try to update the firmware.
Instructions for Mac OS are as follows:
- Launch Terminal from the “Applications” – “Utilities”;
- Enter the command sudo nano /private/etc/hosts;
- Delete the line 208.105.171 gs.apple.com, if it exists;
- Save the file.
Checking the Internet connection
Internet connection problems can cause iTunes error 3194 to appear when trying to update or restore iOS version.
You need to make sure that everything is in order with the Internet connection. There are no crashes and no software that blocking the connection to the servers.
- Restart your router. If you connect to the network via Wi-Fi, then try connecting directly via a wire;
- Turn off Windows Firewall or add iTunes to the exceptions. To deactivate it, you need to open Windows Security.
Go to Firewall & network protection settings.
Open Active Network and Disable Microsoft Defender firewall.
- Disable other antivirus programs.
Use another computer
Try to restore the device on a different computer with a different network connection. If iTunes also gives error 3194 on another PC, then problems with the PC, with iTunes, and with the network can be ruled out as possible causes. The problem is in hardware of the mobile device.
Reset data in iCloud
ICloud has a reset option for clearing all data. It allows you to reset your device to its original state.
Before using this method, you should do back up for all important data stored on your device.
- Go to icloud.com and log in by using your Apple ID and password;
- Click “Find My Phone” on the main page, after this a map with your devices will open;
- Select your iPhone or iPad that have problems;
- Click “Restore”. After that, the device configuration will be restored to factory settings.
If jailbreak was used
If unlicensed software was installed on the device by using a jailbreak, then a specialized program TinyUmbrella can be used to roll back the smartphone to a previous version. Download and install the program. Go to the Advanced tab and uncheck the “Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit” checkbox. Then try to restore or update the firmware.
If none of the above helped and message “The iPhone “iPhone” could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3194)” still appears, then there is a high probability that the problem is in the hardware. For example, the modem may be faulty. It will not be possible to solve such a problem without special skills with your own hands. You need to go to the service center.
Contact Apple Support
You should also contact Apple Support for assistance. All available ways to contact are listed on the official website support.apple.com.