When launching programs, applications or games, users of the OS Windows may see the following message on their screen: “The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application.“. Familiar?
If you are one of those who were not lucky face this trouble, then this article will help! We will take a detailed look at how to fix error 0xc000007b when launching programs, applications and games in Windows.
Causes of error 0xc000007b when starting an application in Windows
Among the main reasons why the user sees the message: “The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b).” are the following:
- Missing or damage of necessary libraries, packages for Windows. In most cases, it is the missing of the necessary software on the user’s computer causes the error 0xc000007b to occur. Also, the software may be outdated or damaged as a result of a virus or incorrect user actions;
- Compatibility issues. If an application or game is developed for another operating system or for a different version, then you may have problems when starting apps. So, for example, if the game is developed for Windows 10, then users of devices with Windows 7 or 8 may encounter an error. The opposite situation may also occur, when applications developed for older operating systems do not run in the new version.
There may also be problems due to a mismatch between the bitness of the OS and the application. An application can be developed for x64 and installed on x32. And vice versa.
- Limited rights of user. If the current Windows user has limited rights, the application may not start or errors can happens;
- Damaged or missing application files. It is possible that the files of the application are corrupted. It can be damaged while installation. Also, some files may have been blocked by Windows Defender or antivirus software;
- Missing or outdated PC devices drivers can also cause unexpected errors.
How to fix Error 0xc000007b when starting an application, game in Windows
The reasons are clear. But what to do, how to fix error 0xc000007b when starting an application in Windows? Just follow the guidelines below.
Installing required packages and libraries
For the normal working of most programs, applications and games on modern PCs, the following packages must be installed:
Just install it according to the instructions on the download page. It is very important to install in accordance with the bitness of your operating system.
After installing the libraries and restarting the computer, the error 0xc000007b most likely will no longer appear.
Run System File Checker
The Windows operating system has a built-in function to check and restore the integrity of system files. It’s very easy to start it:
- Open Windows PowerShell as administrator (Or Command Prompt);
- Type the command Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth into the line and press Enter. Wait for the end of the operation;
- Type the command sfc /scannow and press Enter;
- Wait for the system files to be checked and repaired, after this you can try to run the application and check if the problem of error 0xc000007b has been solved.
Fix compatibility issues
Run the application in compatibility mode for your OS. To do this, follow these steps:
- Right click on the application;
- Go to “Properties”;
- Open the “Compatibility” tab;
- Activate “Compatibility mode”;
- Select the version of your operating system;
- Click OK.
Run as administrator
If rights restrictions are set for the current user of OS, then you should run the application as an administrator:
- Right-click on the application or game shortcut;
- Select “Run as Administrator”.
Reinstalling the application
If the issue is still not solved, try reinstalling the application that is giving error 0xc000007b.
The procedure is next:
- Completely uninstall the application through the Windows Add/Remove Wizard;
- Download the installation file of the application again. Preferably from another source;
- Add the installation folder and application to Windows Defender and Firewall exclusions. For this you need:
- Open Windows Security;
- Go to Virus & threat Protection;
- Manage settings;
- Go to Exclusions;
- Add the path to the installation files to the exclusion;
- You also need to add app to the Firewall exceptions. How to do this, you can see here;
- If there are any other antiviruses on the PC, then you need to add the installation file to the exceptions there.
Windows 10 automatically downloads drivers for connected devices. But OS does not always install the latest driver’s versions. Missing of required software can cause error 0xc000007b to appear.
The best option is to go to the manufacturer’s website and install the latest drivers.
You can follow a simple way and install drivers using specialized programs. For example, Driver Booster.
Cleaning the system from garbage and optimizing the system
There is an excellent utility – CCleaner, that can quickly clean the system of junk files and optimize the registry. Be sure to use it.
Windows System Restore
If the application witch launched with an error 0xc000007b worked fine until a certain date, then you should use the Windows system restore function to roll back to the previous restore point.
- Go to Control Panel;
- Go to the “Recovery” section;
- Open System Restore;
- Select an early restore point when the application was working normally;
If none of the above recommendations helped, and the error still appears when you start the application or game, then you should turn to drastic measures, namely, reinstalling the operating system.